What do we mean by affiliate marketing?
- It is a form of online marketing where we can refer someone to any online product and when that person buys the product based on our recommendation we receive the commission.
- So basically, it is a performance-based marketing in which merchant give rewards to the affiliate marketer for generating customers for his brand or product by his own effort.
- There are lots of e-commerce sites like Amazon, Flipkart etc. where there is an option for becoming an affiliate marketer. Anyone can avail that option and can become an affiliate marketer just by providing the URL of his/her website to the merchant website.
- Now if someone wants to buy something and lend into the affiliate’s website and from there if he/she visits the merchant site by that advertisement and buy that very product then the merchant will provide rewards in terms of commission.
Steps to becoming a successful affiliate marketer:
- Needs to perform regular online advertisement technique, which includes organic search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), e-mail marketing etc. up to some extent display marketing.
- If the website or webpage of the affiliate’s rank above in search engine page (SEP) then there will be more web traffic in their website or webpage which will lead them to a better affiliate marketer.
- There are few easier ways also for becoming an affiliate marketer like writing reviews of any product of the merchant which will generate web traffic or by writing blogs of the product which the affiliate wants to promote.
- Online shopper decides to buy an item.
- He/she lends to an affiliate site.
- He/she is now redirected to the merchant site.
- The shopper finally makes the purchase.
- The company tracked the record of who is sending the money and making the sales just by tracking the URL of the affiliate.
- This is a safe and legal way of business, where we just receive rewards for promoting merchant site’s brand or product.
- Basically, affiliate marketing is a smart way of earning money by just performing some basic techniques of digital marketing like SEO, SMM, SEM etc.
- The commission rates vary from 5%-15% depending upon the product which is decided by the merchant itself.
- So basically, out of the 3 persons the advertiser, the publisher, the consumer, the affiliate marketer is the publisher who will publish the product or brand of the advertiser and display it to the consumer. When the consumer will buy that product, the advertiser will reward the publisher in terms of commission for his effort of helping the advertiser to sell is a product.